Saturday, April 11, 2009

Disneyland has gone to the dogs!

A while back, I promised a post on my trip to Disneyland with a puppy in tow.  I took Savannah, a (then) 15 month old female black labbie - she is now older and goes IFT next month!  

It all started with begging and pleading (by me) for a trip to Disneyland - I hadn't been for about a year and was desperate to go with a puppy in training.  My mom finally agreed and we called up Savannah's puppy raisers to ask for a one-night trade.

Come Saturday, we swapped pups at about 10am and then headed for Disney!  Savannah got to go on several rides including Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, The Train, The Jungle Cruise, It's A Small World, and a few more that I'm not thinking of.  She was swapped on Splash Mountain and Indiana Jones.  

Although we didn't meet any other puppies in training or working dogs, we came across a few puppy raisers!  We met one family who is waiting for their first GDA puppy (we have talked to them at a few Sylmar meetings) and another man who used to raise for GDB! The GDB former raiser mentioned something hilarious.  He said that everyone used to tell him (we have all heard this), "I love dogs too much, I could NEVER give it up" and  he sometimes used to reply "Well, I really don't like dogs, so it's easy!"  Of course, he was kidding, but it was a funny comment.  

Here are some pictures from the big day:









An extra note:
I am probably going to post either another video or pictures of Mikah because I just uploaded more onto my computer; please don't feel obligated to watch/comment them.  They are open for everyone to view and you are welcome to do so, but I really am posting them for my own personal use. Seriously. Really. 

P.P.S.
SIX DAYS! :)

9 comments:

  1. It's so awesome that the pups can go on the rides!!

    It looks like Eeyore made a friend!!! So Cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite jealous of all you southern Californians who live so close to Disneyland ... I would love to take a puppy sometime!

    I actually went on a family trip to disneyworld right before I picked up my first puppy (so his first leash and collar were disney themed :P) and the highlight of the trip for me was seeing a service dog one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, I love Disneyland. We got 2fers (which means you can go back to the other park a different day for free) so my sister and I went back to California Adventures (dogless). While we were there, we saw a working dog but I have no idea what his/her job was! It was an unusual breed...a big dog, but a more "boxy" looking dog - not a lab or a golden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must be tons of fun to take a dog to an amusement park! Hopefully we can take some this year!!

    Love that quote, so I'll have to use it!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is soo cool that you can take your pups on rides. GDB changed rules a few years ago and dogs can only ride the train and mono-rail. How did he do on the drop in Priates?

    I love D-land for socialization, you usually meet one or two other raisers or uses at the park. And the staff there are soooo helpful about the dogs.

    Glad to hear about Westin

    ReplyDelete
  6. She was really good on all the rides - I put my hand on her during the drop so she would feel secure and she was fine :) How old do GDB pups have to be to visit Disneyland?

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Sammy! I'm also a teen raiser (first time) but, I think you knew that! Anyway, according to GDB, puppies can't go to amusement parks until they are 4 months old! And that is with advisor approval only!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's pretty young! Our pups have to be a whole 12 months. Thanks for the info :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually wait until my pups are 9 months or older. Different clubs and CRFs view amusement parks...well differently. According to our training manual 4 months is ok - but at that point most pups are just begining to take short outings, I highly doubt they are going to D-land.
    In the south our CRF won't let us go on any rides, but I guess up north they can... go figure.

    but if they are not enjoying the park what ever their age we go home.

    ReplyDelete